Employment Opportunity Safe Routes to Schools Seeks Education Instructor
Safe Routes to Schools – Education Instructor
Marin County Safe Routes to Schools is seeking a dynamic and passionate instructor to teach elementary and middle school students bicycle & pedestrian safety education in schools throughout Marin County. The candidate must have teaching experience in a classroom setting. The majority of time will be spent working in the field at school sites.
- Conduct interactive walking and bicycle safety education in classrooms and skill-based classes outdoors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to conduct engaging presentations with principals, teachers, parents, and students.
- Flexible, energetic, outgoing, responsive team player with the ability to work independently (working from a home office is an option when not at a school site).
- Flexible availability on weekdays and occasional weekends; student education activities are scheduled during the school day and occasionally after school.
- Technologically savvy; well versed in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Google Apps.
- Clean driving record & proof of insurance. Ability to travel throughout Marin County.
- Drive rental pick-up truck with equipment trailer throughout Marin County.
- Clear background screening (Live-Scan).
- Physical ability to lift bicycles and education props.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Safe Routes to Schools and The Marin County Bicycle Coalition.
- Teaching and/or outdoor education experience with youth.
- Developing education materials and lesson plans for elementary and middle school students.
- Knowledge of and/or history working with underserved communities.
- Experience and high-comfort level with cycling for transportation.
- LCI certified Instructor (training opportunity provided).
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience (a student working toward degree will be considered).
- Experience with minor bicycle repairs and equipment.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation starts at $20 per hour and increases depending on experience. This position starts with a variable number of hours per week during the school year with a potential of developing into a Lead Instructor (approx 20 hours/week during the 10 months of the school year) with benefits. The position involves traveling within Marin County (mileage is reimbursed).We offer a friendly, fast-paced, flexible work environment. Our staff is focused on making positive changes in the world and supports and celebrates diversity.
How to Apply
Please send a one to two paragraph cover letter and resume outlining your experience, salary requirements, and interest in the position to SR2S@www.marinbike.org. Emails only. Please put the cover letter in the text of your e-mail. The résumé may be attached as a pdf. The position is open until filled. No phone calls please. Marin County Bicycle Coalition / Safe Routes to Schools is an equal opportunity employer.