Building a new generation of trail volunteers MCBC Trail Stewards Program
MCBC’s Off-Road Program is built on three equally important objectives: Education, Environmental Stewardship and Expanded Opportunities. Each year, MCBC brings out more than 150 volunteers who invest over 600 hours into natural resource preservation and stewardship.
Starting the fall of 2018, with the support of PG&E, Bank of Marin and Mike’s Bikes, we will train and equip a leadership corps of trail stewards to caretake Marin’s trails and natural habitat, while also recruiting and educating young mountain bikers (and others) to join the effort. MCBC will buy equipment, recruit and train a lead corps of 10-15 volunteers, and coordinate and enable this corps to then train and deploy 250 first-time volunteers.
To build this program on best practices, MCBC is working with members of TAMBA, Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz and other trail steward programs, to develop curriculum and provide direction as we prepare for new trail opportunities in Marin County. Our goal is to increase capacity to build and maintain sustainable trails and to repair impacts on the environment in Marin County with a well trained volunteer workforce.
The training curriculum, activities and processes will support achievement of the programs goals:
- Instill a sense of stewardship and foster the next generation of conservation leaders
- Recruit and train trail crew leaders
- Provide regular volunteer training for people interested in trail work and habitat restoration
- Establish trust among Marin’s land managers so that our workforce can conduct routine trail maintenance work with minimal supervision
- Expand the capacity of Marin’s volunteer programs and make work days more productive
Thanks to our sponsors
All proceeds from the Santa Cruz Bike Drawing go to building the Trail Stewards Program!
Update – the drawing is now closed – thanks to all who donated!
Thanks to your support, we raised nearly $15,000 through this drawing effort. If you missed out on that but would still like to support the Trail Stewards program, please use the button below.